Saturday, February 16, 2013

5 Months!





5 Months is already here, and I feel like I just blogged about 4 months! Lucas has definitely conquered a TON of new skills from 4-5 month old! After his 4 month appointment we were cleared to try some solids, we put his high chair all together, strapped him in,  and then started with some rice cereal - we were a little nervous about this, but gave it a shot -- he didnt seem too interested! We tried too different brands and he didn't like either, so I tried a little oatmeal, and he liked maybe just a tad better...but still didn't eat too much. I thought maybe lets just see if he just wants to go straight for the veggies, and he loved them! We started with oranges and gave him a little squash for 3-4 days, 1x/day which he liked, and then just recently tried sweet potatoes -- he absolutely loves sweet potatoes so far! It is so fun to see him chow down on real food, he does a little chewing action and then swallows them right down! Such a big boy! And by big, I mean he weighs 19.6# as of this past week!
Besides the food milestones, he is really making good progress with his gross and fine motor skills! :)
He has been really good with fine motor and being able to pick up objects so easily and quickly and pass them back and forth between his hands, even on his tummy he weight shifts well to grab an object-- he also is able to pick things up with his thumb and index finger and can pick up tiny little things!

We've had one of my friends/coworkers who is a pediatric PT out to our house to just work with Lukey a little bit on his tight right sternocleidomastoid (which can lead to torticollis/ plagiocephally (flat head)) and all that fun stuff, we noticed this when he just favored looking to the left and sidebending to the right, and sure enough, he did have some tightness and a very mild flat spot. Our pediatrician wasnt concerned at all and said its nothing to worry about. But just knowing some awesome pediatric therapist, I figured I'd have them just double check it. So Dana has been amazing and  comes over to hang out with Luke and has worked with him 3 times, and I think he is continuing to improve nicely!! Thanks Dana!! He also began rolling 1 week after he turned 4 months (I think sometimes bigger babies are a little slower with this!) and he rolls from his back to tummy, but hasnt been able to figure out tummy to back yet! He also surprised us last week with being able to sit unsupported! He can now sit for over 1 minute without any support, it is so much fun having him sit up and look around at everything that is going on, especially at his best friend Fenton!

As far as his personality goes, he is the goofiest, happiest, cutest little baby boy! He seriously smiles and giggles so much, its so cute! We get lots of compliments asking us if he is always so happy and so good! When we take him out to gatherings with friends it seems like he doesn't even fuss at all, I think he just loves being around people and in on all the action. He also is doing well at daycare, and they say he always has such good days, he just likes his environment changed every so often! He LOVEs to read books, he just stares at the pictures and then trys to flip the pages! He also has a little girlfriend now at daycare - her name is Elin! Elin and her mom actually come to our early family education class on Monday nights too! Lucas is about 3 weeks older! He still isnt sure about that class yet, Tim and I took him to his first  class on Feb 4th, and he was able to play with bubbles, new toys/books, hear his mommy's horrible singing voice, watch Daddy get embarrassed by the being the only dad, and play lots of little games! I think he will get into it more as he gets older!
He is also able to fall asleep much easier, its barely any work to put him down at night, and he wakes up probably 1-2x/night just for a moment and we just change his position in his crib and he falls back to sleep. Two nights ago he slept 7:30pm-6am - I think it was his Valentine's Day present to his Mommy!
Grandma and Grandpa Schultz also came up for a visit last weekend and brought Lucas such a cute little cat in the hat stuffed animal and book and a few balloons! I think his favorite part was the tissue and balloons! Tim and I were talking and I don't think we could love anything or anyone more than how much we love our little baby boy!




















No comments:

Post a Comment